Google Analytics (invisible)

Sunday, June 15, 2014

A less than half-hearted attempt at catching up

Jessa ~

I'm sorry you haven't gotten a real letter from me for a few weeks. I like to believe that I have a decently good excuse. If it makes you feel any better, I have the detailed birth story partly written up. Does that count for anything? But tonight I have a headache, kids are screaming, you're getting online at any moment, my computer is running at about the speed of snails, and I don't have BJ's pictures on my computer yet. So there are my excuses for this somewhat lame post. Please don't hate me. I'll do my best to get a better one up next week.

Let's see.  I think you've missed...


  • I got two prenatal massages, which were great and allowed me to lay on my big pregnant tummy for a time.
  • Nana had a birthday party up at Aunt Barbara's. Good times were had by all. But much fewer candles than at Grandpa Goddard's last party. We didn't think Nana would have had the same reaction...
  • I spoke in another ward with a high councilman. I warned him that I might have to cancel last minute due to a baby being born, but he felt strongly that I should be the one to speak with him, so I accepted with that disclaimer and he prayed I'd still be pregnant on that Sunday. I was. 5 days later Peter was born.
  • That same Sunday BJ played a musical number in sacrament, I was asked to tell the story of Jericho and Rahab in Sunday School while BJ subbed Sunbeams in Sharing Time and then I came and joined him and helped him teach Sunbeams. I think we also had home teachers, and then we went up to your parents for 4th Sunday dinner. It was a pretty busy Sunday.
  • Kessa graduated from Joy School and we had a little program for them. It was cute.
  • Peter was born! Yay!
  • Because of it I missed craft night and stake baptisms.
  • Kessa started taking an art class every Wednesday where she basically does crafts and it's adorable.
  • Then every Thursday she takes a music appreciation class where she learns about composers, hears her teacher (a 12- or 13-year old girl in our ward) play one of their songs, then she gets to learn a very simplified version of part of the song which she gets a week to memorize and if she does, she gets a prize the next week.
  • BJ helps her with her memorization. He would teach so much past what was required for class that we decided to buy her piano books and BJ has started teaching her piano lessons.
  • Peter has been going to the chiropractor 3 times per week, because he has a recessed chin that makes it hard for him to latch on to breastfeed. He gets plenty to eat, but it hurts me and doesn't make nursing pleasant. I had the pediatrician check for a tongue or lip tie, which apparently are quite common and rarely diagnosed, and he said he had absolutely none, but has a recessed chin, which can cause similar effects in nursing. So I asked my midwife and she said to get into a chiropractor. So I found one who thought he could help and we've been going in ever since. Next week we start twice a week. He's had 6 visits so far and thankfully it has helped a lot! Today I surprised myself by realizing that nursing hasn't hurt at all today! IT'S A MIRACLE! It's been slowly getting better, but today was the first day that it honestly just didn't hurt. (Of course, the next feeding after the realization hurt to start, but got better. Go figure. [sigh]) So I'll keep taking him in until it's consistently better or shows no signs of improving. Wish us luck!
  • Meanwhile, BJ has to get another root canal, I have a cavity that needs to be filled and possibly other work, but we were waiting for me not to be pregnant to get the X-ray and Kessa has two cavities to be filled. We're going to go broke just on medical/dental expenses! Yipes.
  • Kessa had a birthday! She's now 5. She woke up to balloons in her room and tied to her chair at the table. We had german pancakes (her favorite) for breakfast, then went to the new children's museum, ate lunch at a restaurant, she played with her best friend, Izzy, while Abby napped, then we ate pizza and cheese sticks at Grandma Homer's. Outside as a picnic. Then had an ice cream cake. Plus got presents of clothes and a new bike. No training wheels.
  • Speaking of the bike, she's a pro. She can ride it by herself without any help. It only took a couple of days to go from brand new bike to 100% confidence. She's even crashed a couple of times and was most upset when I told her to come inside so we could put a bandaid on it and and she cried, "But I want to ride my bike again!!!!" Good girl. Way to get back up and get back on! She'd ride it all day if we let her.
  • Saturday Chelsea had a bridal shower up at her grandparents' house in Bountiful. Teresa, Peter and I went. Peter was a hit. Of course. ;) It was a chill party, mostly just talking and eating gourmet food. But it was fun.
  • Damian came down again this weekend. He brought all of his kids, so they all played hard yesterday. Today they went to a farewell where they met Kim and she took the kids home. Damian has an inspection for sheetrock scheduled in the morning, so we're crossing our fingers that he can finish all the sheetrock by then. He worked hard yesterday (with help from BJ in the evening), though, so I think he'll manage it. Then he wants to mud and tape the storage room so he can call that room at least done. Then it'll be on our shoulders to get shelving in there and move all our storage out of the garage and into the basement. Hooray! A light at the end of the tunnel! It'll be weird having our garage back again. But we're considering having a guy in our ward build them and he's out of town a lot the next few weeks, so he wouldn't be able to get to it until July. So... it might still take some time.
  • Father's Day today was good, I think. But I'm not a father, so I can't fully vouch for it.
  • Kessa and Abby both start swimming lessons tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.
And... I think we've caught up the last few weeks!  Whew! And you haven't emailed yet, so I assume you're not on yet. So I'll go find some kiddisms for you.

Kiddisms
  • Getting out of the bathtub, Abby: My bum is pretty!
    Me: Your bum is pretty?
    Abby: Yes. It has flowers on it!
  • We have dinosaur probiotics. Our girls have reassigned them more familiar animals. From what we've been able to determine so far:
    Stegosaurus = horsie
    T-rex = kitty
    Allosaurus = elephant
  • Kessa specifically requested that daddy blow on her dinner, so that it would fog up his glasses.
  • BJ was teaching Kessa Spanish during dinner. He was pointing to everyone's nose and saying, “me nariz”, “tu nariz”, “nariz de Abby”. Then he started again, “nariz de Kessa,” “nariz de Papa”. At which point Abby pipes in laughing, “No… that's Daddy!”
  • At one point I thought I might be in labor, so we sent the girls to bed telling them we needed them to go to bed quickly just in case. Up to this point, Kessa had been pretty adamant that Peter needed to be born on her birthday, not earlier. As BJ was putting her to bed... Kessa: I just want to tell mommy that if she does have the baby it's ok and I'll be very excited.
  • We officially started piano lessons with Kessa today. BJ was teaching her about good piano posture, specifically sitting up straight and not slouching.
    Kessa: Yeah, because if you slouch down, your chin will hit the keys.
    And then she demonstrated for us. 
  • Kessa: you're as funny as an angel!
  • A friend: Happy birthday!
    Kessa: Happ– Aaahhhhh! No! Thank you!
  • Dad: Kessa, I just want you to know that I think you are great, in every way.
    Kessa: i'm even greater on my bike!
  • Kessa at the lunch prayer: Please help us to eat lunch and breakfast good. And not choke. And at dinner. And help is to be a good family and not throw fits anymore.
  • Kessa: Abby! Not my pink bike! My bigger pink bike!
  • Peter was laying on the couch and Kessa climbed up to the back of the couch above him. “I am the king of Peter. You'd better believe it.”
And now I'm tired. And pictures are a pain. So... you'll just have to wait for next week for pictures. Sorry.  Truly. But I still love you. :)

~ Tianna and Co.

No comments: