Google Analytics (invisible)

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Something new

So, as most of you have realized, for the last year and a half, I've been writing my blog as a letter to BJ's sister, Jessa. She has been serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Cambodia. Not wanting to miss a single detail, I sent her all the details. But as much as I love the details, I fear I may have lost much of my readership. Most people don't want to know the nitty gritty details of my life. Plus, I've just felt like it's time for my blog to take a different direction for awhile. So as soon as Jessa was done, I stopped blogging. Unsure what to write, I just stopped writing. For a month and a half.

So today starts something new. I'm not sure what it is yet, but I guess we'll find out together as it unfolds.

For today, I'll catch you up on all the missed kiddisms (with a few adult guest appearances)...


  • Kessa: do you know why I love Papa [Lovell] so much and why he loves me so much? Because he has that little thing [flashlight] that when you put it on my finger, it turns my finger red. 
  • Me: It would take me more than my whole life to travel to the sun.
    Kessa: But not the firemen. Because they are superfast!
  • Abby: I'm two and Kessa's five, so I'm old.
  • Kessa: When can I get my ears punished? (She meant pierced.)
  • Abby (age 2.5) spent a few minutes examining her mouth in the mirror. Then she told me, “This tooth! It fell out. I need to get my tooth pillow.” I laughed and asked, “Your tooth fell out and you need to put it in your tooth pillow?” She very seriously looked straight in my eyes and said, “I need money.”
  • Kessa: If we all like green like you do, then we'd all have magic in our eyes!
  • Kessa wearing her Elsa dress walks into my bedroom, alone, and starts saying very earnestly to herself, “Don't. Feel. Don't feel! Don't feel.”
  • Kessa: Abby, you have to sleep.
    Abby: I can't; my hands are full. 
  • Resa: So, I was thinking about this the other day. I'm going to be the one to go to all of my siblings' funerals. If we all live to be the age of… old. I'm going to go to all of them! BJ, you're not going to go to anyone's except maybe Nick's. But let's be honest. We're all going to go to Nick's.
  • Abby: Oh! Look! My shadow is happy!
  • Me: How do we earn points?
    Kessa: Wellllllll… that's a very good answer. 
  • BJ: I wouldn't get to wear my Transformer's dress.
  • Me: What do you want for lunch?
    Abby: peanut butter
    Me: Do you want it on toast?
    Abby: No
    Me: On bread?
    Abby: No
    Me: What do you want it on?
    Abby: I want peanut butter.
    Me: Ok. But what do you want to eat your peanut butter on?
    Abby: Because I don't like it.
    Me: You don't like peanut butter?
    Abby: No
    [30-second pause]
    Abby: I want peanut butter.
    Me: Do you just want to just eat it with a spoon?
    Abby: No. 
  • Abby, speaking to her stuffed monkey: Monkey Pearl Homer. Stop. Stop! STOP! Oh, Monkey… sorry. Do you want to cuddle? You need to stop yelling. Ohhhh. Do you need to change your diaper? Oh, is it owie? Sorry.
  • BJ, telling to story of the Boy Who Cried Wolf: Sheep just aren't all the interesting. They don't play games or tell jokes or make you pizza.
  • Abby: Let's go get oatmeal!
    BJ: Just a second, I'm kissing mommy.
    Abby: And hug! And tickle!
    [BJ tickles me.]
    Meanwhile, Abby: Sorry. Sorry, Mommy. Sorry. Sorry about that. 
  • Kessa found a camera and is going around taking pictures. She was taking one of Peter and I. "Don't smile so big, mom—your eyes are shutting." Hah!
  • BJ: Now that you’re getting your big teeth, you need to take care of them because you’ll never lose them.
    Kessa: Yes I will! I met a lady that was really, really old… (then she got distracted, but I think we can all see where this was going…)
  • Kessa's homework today [Nov 17] is to write numbers as high as she can. Try to get to at least 20.
    She did that easily.
    I asked if she could get higher.
    She said she could get to 100. I challenged her to do it.
    So she hid the paper from me and wrote by 10s up to 100. 😂
  • Kessa was coming up with words that start with N for homework. Without really thinking I told her to think of letters, colors, or animals. She asked what letter I was thinking of. And then I realized I had meant to say number. So I said, “Oh, that was silly. Letters aren't really words. I guess we could say N, but that's not a word.” She retorted, “But N starts with 'e'. Eh-n.”
    Touché.
  • We’re trying to keep the kids off screen time during the morning. This morning Abby had been asking to watch a show and I kept telling her, “In the afternoon.” At one point I was out on my computer and BJ was in the bedroom getting ready when Abby came out and told me to go talk to Daddy. When she wants something, she’s very insistent about it, so I decided to placate her and went in to talk to him. Next thing I know, she’s shutting my bedroom door—with her on the outside. Now, I can add two and two better than my two-year old, and just laughed, telling BJ what I suspected.

    I gave her a few minutes, then went back out to find her hiding behind the blue hand chair (not very effectively), on the iPad. I put my hands on my hips and said, “Abby, what are you doing?” She looked up, wide-eyed, and said, “Mommy, go talk to Daddy!” When I didn’t move, she grabbed the iPad, pulled it behind the chair and exclaimed, “Mommy! Go!”



    I admit, I left and let her watch. It was too hard to not laugh in front of her.


And since he can't talk, I'll just remind you all that this dude is awesome:

No comments: